3.3K views

If you contact the CEO of Sterling, Mark Light (mlight at jewels.com), (owner of Kay's and Jareds) about a problem he will not only ignore you but will also sick his attorney on you and threaten to have you thrown in jail.

His attorney, Stephen Zashin says, "...do not direct communications to Mr. Light. Mr. Light has been advised not to communicate with you. Also, do not direct any communication to any other Sterling executive. If you continue to do so, Sterling may seek to prosecute you under O.R.C. Section 2917.21(A)(5)."

Takes a real man to let others fight his battle for him.

Comments

Lexington, Kentucky, United States #1204958

On our first visit to the store in March 2014, we put a center diamond on hold. We picked up the diamond after 2 and 1/2 weeks in April.

When asked for the return policy, we were told: "30 days of wearing the diamond”. We wanted to return the diamond after 2 weeks of wearing, however, the store refused the return, because the reservation period also counts toward the 30 days. In the end, the store agreed to do an equal exchange and told us that they will call us when they get some diamonds of the same size and quality in. However, the store did not follow up with us nor get diamonds in as promised.

When we contacted the store, we were told that they have not yet gotten the diamonds in.

We customized a ring setting shortly after purchasing the center diamond. We paid for the custom in April 2014 and had the wax made. Due to the promised diamond exchange, the sales presentative told us to delay on making the custom until we finish the diamond exchange. The store let us use a setting and said we can return the setting when our custom is ready.

The store received our payment for the custom, but did not once follow up with us to finish the custom and supplying us the product we paid for. We finally ordered the custom to be made in August 2015. Jared charged us an additional $1,165 due to "price increase of diamond and gold" over the last year. This is very unreasonable since we paid for the custom in full already and were already in the process of making the custom.

We were also informed that if we cancel the custom, we would have to pay $700 for the wax that was made. We were unaware of this.

Milton, Florida, United States #1189558

Please never take your jewelry to Kay's for repair. They are practicing EXTREMELY unethical and preditorial practices towards seniors.

An example would be dropping off my mother's ring for repair, small diamond missing and one prong need reinforced to the tune of $170...then a couple days later, the warehouse called and now there are 10 prongs needing reinforcement and another diamond replaced. She had to pay an additional $155, so in essence they are holding my poor mother's ring hostage for ransom.

She has dementia and cries frequently because she doesn't know where her rings are. This company should be ashamed of their deceitful practices and this needs to stop!!!

That's a shame I thought he would help me guess I need to get an attorney. Kays of West Hartford Jewelry repair person must have personal issues to not see he SCREWED up a 20 year old ring set . ISSUE STILL NOT RESOLVED .

Laurel, Maryland, United States #1016983

Unfortunately, I had a very bad experience at this location. I've never reviewed any business, good or bad, but there is a first time for everything.

I took in a Burberry watch (a pretty good watch, not a Rolex of course, but not a cheap Timex either) for a battery replacement. The gentleman who helped me was courteous and helpful. He and a younger associate took turns with the watch but ultimately came back to me and said they tried two different batteries but the watch still did not work. They said there would be no charge since it didn't get fixed.

Fair enough. I can appreciate that.

The next day, today, I took it to a dedicated watch shop in Kensington, MD to ask what they thought was wrong with it. They opened the watch up and said, "Oh, your battery is just in upside down!" I was rather happy because I thought that would save me $80 bucks or more that I thought I would have to spend on an overhaul.

As he looked closer though, he noticed that the lower contact was broken off, the piece that holds the battery in place was bent and a small plastic insulator film was missing. Unfortunately, due to the contact being broken off, some of the internal components would need to be replaced which would run about $125. So, obviously upset, I went immediately back to the Kay Jewelers in Laurel to alert them to the damage. Needless to say, I was given the run around of "Well, how do we know it wasn't broken when it came in" and "we replace many batteries a day and this never happens" and ultimately, "we can send it out for repair and give you a discount."

Taking these statements one at a time:

Well, you can't know that it wasn't broken when I came in. The battery was dead so it wasn't working anyway. However, I know that MY watch was working until the battery stopped. Then I brought it in, and here we are.

I understand it doesn't mean anything to Kay Jewelers that I've never before reviewed anything, but the fact that I am willing to now will hopefully keep someone else from going there to have a watch battery replaced and end up in the same situation. That I am willing to now put my name on a review on the internet alerting people to this incident is all I can do to show this is not some two-bit watch repair scam.

2. Yes, I am sure that many watch battery replacements go off around the world without a hitch every day.

However, accidents do happen and mistakes are made, so track records don't preclude you from accidentally breaking someone else's property. Just own up to it and make it right.

3. So, after having my watch broken by Kay Jewelers, I am going to have to pay Kay Jewelers to fix my watch?

That doesn't sound like a good plan. I told the manager that I would pay the $15 dollars that the initial battery replacement would have cost (which, by the way, should really only cost about $5-10 depending on if you have a coupon at an actual watch shop. Unfortunately, I found this out too late.) I came into Kay Jewelers thinking I would pay $15 for the battery and frankly, even offering to pay that amount for the repair was not my responsibility. I hate that I have had to write this.

It could have been handled better and I would have gladly put a better review. But alas, it was not.

The bottom line is, Kay Jewelers broke my watch, refused to fix it and I have zero recourse but to write this review. Hopefully it will help others make a better decision in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #996442

That's makes me ill to hear as a customer almost monthly. As a business owner myself I would never tolerate any *** wind such as that from any mouth high in rank or low.

I have to say it's a silver spoon person who takes these points as moot. And threats can also come back with attorneys from the common person.

His arrogance will one day run him down and what goes around sadly comes back to do the damage one has done and attorney cannot help then. Universe gives what you give it.

Bellevue, Nebraska, United States #947756

I've met him,public relations is not his responsibility. He has a very pacific job within the company,if you had a complaint you should probably give it to the district manager.

to Highsite Cleveland, Ohio, United States #971738

I always thought his job was Atlantic

This marks and Morgan is very ugly. Employees yelling one.

With the costumer standing right there. So much more help

I am sorry to hear that a company's CEO or Owner doesn't have the time to hear from it's customers. I hope many consumers see this and don't do business with a company who could care less about it's customer base.

to TL Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, United States #1101320

Nice post

Diamond missing from ring. It was inspected on 12-17-13 When I took it in I was accused that I must have drove my car or stepped on the ring or put it through a garbage disposal that's why the diamond was missing.

I was accused and treated with so much disrespect by the store representative Susan - 881149 at Summit Mall Akron, Ohio that I started crying in the store. She was threatening that even though I met the requirement to have it inspected that it would not be covered under warranty.

If this does not get resolved I will be contacting my attorney and filing a complaint about being falsely accused.

My husband recently purchased a necklace ring and earrings from kays in st clairsvlle ohio, for me for Christmas. Rick told them not to call and they promised to call after the new year!

Well you guessed it they called he was very disappointed and took back the le vian collection which I love. So he took them back deb at the store helped him the other girl that works there was very rude and wanted my husband to make a scene! Well my husband is a man and did not let her rattle him! Sir now that's a man!!!!

And proud to have him!!! No store should have a woman like that working to *** people off!

to Diana Atlanta, Georgia, United States #932253

I took my ring in for a simple /routine cleaning, and I left owning nothing. I was lied to about the damage, then assured by management that they would take care of it & repair my ring.

To my demise, my ring has now been declared unrepairable by the same company that my husband purchased the ring from..

Here's my story:

I came to the store# 435 @ 3001 Turner Hill Rd., Marketplace at Stonecrest Dr. on 1-14-15, and upon entering the store I was greeted by a gentleman by the name of Daryl, who attempted to assist me with dropping off my wedding ring for cleaning. Daryl, although very pleasant, was inexperienced and required assistance from both the Assistant General Manager, Pamela Strickland and fellow teammate, Suzanne to enter the paper work.

Daryl explained to me that this wasn't his department & Suzanne proceeded to complete my paperwork.

Before leaving my ring in the care of Jared's, both Suzanne & Daryl inspected my ring with Pamela over shadowing them, and found no damage. Furthermore, Suzanne went as far as to compliment me on the condition & quality of my ring.

I was told that my ring would be available for pick up @ 2:30p, but to my dismay, when I returned @ 3:40p my ring wasn't finished.

Now the rep by the name of Rose was assisting me & here's where things get interesting. After gathering my ticket slip, Rose proceeded to inquire on why my ring wasn't ready, and I over heard her and another associated discussing that my ring was chipped when the rep cleaning it, received my ring. I then asked Rose what they were discussing & did I hear the young lady say my ring was damaged & Rose said no & that my ring would be finished shortly.

Rose proceeds to hand me the ring in a white paper towel, covering up the damaged & only exposing the top diamond & saying, "Here,see everything is fine," urging me to hurry up & sign the slip that said that there was no damage, and I did. It wasn't until removing the ring from the paper towel & placing the ring on my finger that I indeed noticed that my ring was chipped(the band near the biggest diamond was chipped). So not only did Rose attempt to cover up the damage by placing my ring in a paper napkin, which I sure wasn't protocol, but she also lied to me after I specifically asked her about the damaged. At this point I requested to speak with Pamela immediately & I explained my concerns, at which she then assures me that they, meaning Jared's would take care of it & repair my ring.

She advised me to come back after 6pm the same day. Instead, I sent my husband & to our surprise he was told that they attempted to repair my ring but something went wrong & now my ring was unrepairable.. He was advised when attempting to take pictures of the ring that he couldn't & that he had to leave the ring(which is paid off & insured) with Jared's, although he didn't agree, he reluctantly did because Pamela refused to give it back to him. Pamela specifically stated that," I've seen in my 12yrs of experience what pictures can do to a company," implying that the picture would be harmful to Jared's image.

However, my husband was able to take a few pictures before she took the ring back. Pamela then stated that Jared's no longer carried that design but they would offer me a ring at the original value of 4,899.99. However, since the date of purchase we have taken my ring to the same location & paid 150.00 for an appraisal to be done & the value now is 6,584.25. It is not fair to offer us a ring at the original price, because to be very frank, if they didn't have incompetent people working on my ring, then it wouldn't have been damaged in the first place..

The ring I owed became priceless once the covenant was made at the altar & to offer anything less than reasonable exchange for the poor customer service I have experienced would be outrageous!

Fellow consumers it's safe to say that this location isn't customer first driven. This horrible experience needed to be shared..

You people are ignorant. Happilymarried why would you shop some place that you get terrible service from?

Why do you keep going back? And it's a gem scope not a microscope. Would you really want a "terrible salesman" with no jewelry repair experience to fix your ring? You just got upset that he told you your ring required maintenance.

Majendru you didn't pass the personality test, had nothing to do with your race, get over it! Bella they only have one home office and that is in Akron Ohio! The one in the Bahamas is completely unrelated to the ones in the US. But had you paid attention to what you were looking at you could have figured that out.

Jo Delaware maybe you should stop believing your husband if he said he thought they were gold,he lied to you, and you should probably take a class on grammar and spelling. It's people like you that are oblivious to the real world and I cannot believe you have gotten this far in life.

I read these sights just to laugh! Thank you morons for making my day!

to Amused by your ignorance Scottsdale, Arizona, United States #941519

Fantastic! I'm glad there's other sane people in the world!

to Amused by your ignorance #958111

*** you!! Kay is terrible, the can't answer any of my questions.

I'll will never spend money at Kay's or Jared.

Go back to home on *** island! *** stick

to Amused by your ignorance #1008702

Maybe you should check your grammar "sites" not "sights"..LOL!

Baltimore, Maryland, United States #707526

Their employees are not professional, and have never been friendly. We have been customers for 15 years (longer) and have had maybe one or two good encounters.

For whatever reason, Messhick Stanley really thought he was something else looking through the microscope at my wedding ring- and checking the wrap that he officially BROKE. I am so, so sorry that after all these years I will have to take my ring, even with "the guarantee" to another place or repairs. I have read all the horrible reviews and after my experience with Mr. Stanley, and David at customer care (ext 1278) it is painfully evident that they just do not care about their customers.

Mr. Stanley, just because your eyebrows are waxed and you can see the clarity of a diamond through a microscope doesn't make you better than me or anyone. Your arrogance was offensive- I'm a RN. I save lives. You are nothing but a salesman.

And a really bad one at that...

majendru
Washington, District Of Columbia, United States #618644

I am denied employment of Sterling company as a Filipino American; I am not a criminal; my ex-store manager is white she got transfer to another store; sterling company employed Black and Muslim Americans but as A FILIPINO I am being discriminated; Sterling company has a million dollar Lawyer I dont I am only a poor person. I wrote President Obama and President Aquino about me being discriminated.

My ex-store manager was abuse by sterling district Store Manager; just happen I witness it all. You can check online sterling work discrimination history to prove my case.

all these stores are under "Signet",, based in the Bahama,s,, with offices in N.Y, and London, i sent emails to the ceo,s in both places, and finally got made whole ("ostermans stole my ring" is my complaint on this site)

here is the list of stores..

Sterlingjewelers: