Kay Jewelers - outrageous charges for watch battery replacement

Nov 10, 2011
review #274158

I bought a Movado watch from a Kays store.The slaesperson recommended a lifetime battery replacement contract which I bought.

When my battery played out I took the watch back to Kays for replacement.

I was told they had to send it off and it would take 4-6 weeks.I received a call a few weeks later informing me that there would be a charge of $105 because when the watch is opened to replace the battery the gasket is broken and the watch has to be resealed, hence the $105.

I was sold the battery replacement contract by the explanation that I have NO cost for lifetime battery replacement.

I have been ripped off and have no recourse if I want my watch back.

ab29c84
Had an experience with Kay Jewelers?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
kayemployee

Jan 10, 2012

@nikalseyn

that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard! I have seen people try to change thier own watch batteries and ruin their time piece, prying off a screw back , not to mention that there are over 50 different battery sizes used in watches. if you buy expensive things it is expensive to repair/ maintain them. if you don't then just buy a cheap throwaway.

movado owner

Nov 15, 2011

I have two movado time pieces . The one I have that is for 100 meters or more I have searched high and low for someone to do a battery change. No one will touch it because they do not have the equipment in store to pressure seal the gasket. It's nearly a two thousand dollar watch, so I would like to keep it waterproof , so i do pay for the gasket to be sealed back. My other movado doesn't have a description of water meters. So they change them in store for me. But I can see why they would have that policy. If they are going to break the seal to change the battery on it, and I were to get moisture in it and the watch stops working, yeah, they would pay for me to have a new watch in a heart beat. it makes sense to me.

Shuddup

Nov 11, 2011

People- if you want quality jewelry and service don't buy from a chain that does business out of a mall!!! DUH!

nikalseyn

Nov 10, 2011

You can buy a card full of something like 24 various-size button batteries at many dollar stores. I buy them and replace watch batteries, etc. for all sorts of items. I would tell them to just return the watch without fixing it and then open it up and replace the battery yourself. You can probably figure out how to make a gasket yourself once you see how it goes in. They are usually only a narrow circular rubber thing. Even an "o" ring might work.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Kay Jewelers.
Filing a new complaint about
×